Monday, October 18, 2010

Sympathy Pregnancy

So we have actually attempted to post stuff to our blog in the past 8 months, however each video we tried to upload has been rejected. This leaves us too angry to finish a post and we scrap the whole thing. However, I'm pretty sure I've talked to everyone lately so I wont bother with "bringing every one up to speed" on what's going on around here. Needless to say, all is well.

I did have a funny realization today, well actually this past month. It all started on September 30th. Katie and I were in Culpeper to go to our dentist appointments so of course we made a date out of it. After our cleaning we went straight to a fancy chocolate shop and bought way too much overpriced chocolate that we did not feel guilty about at all. Of course we didn't give any to our children simply because they wouldn't be able to appreciate the "exquisite and sensual flavors" as the rather flamboyant chocolateer put it.
Next we tried our luck at the lottery that is Goodwill. I found a nice pair of name brand jeans that looked new and Katie found a nice top (I think, it has been a few weeks). The only funny thing was that the jeans were a bit snug, however they were a 32 waist (which has always been my size). So I bought them. They continue to be snug but as Mike Rowe says in his commercial, "they make my butt look good."
The next realization was this weekend when I bought my first business suit for my first business interview this upcoming Wednesday.
"What pant size do you wear?", asked the tailor.
"32", replied the patron. He fetched the 32 for me and a tried it on. Now it wasn't quite the Battle of the Bulge but it was snug. So I walked out. He asked me to tuck my shirt in and then suggested a 34. The real shock came when I tried on the 34 and the tailor said, "well once we let those out a little bit they should fit great." I must have gone a little pale because he added that "we all gain a little weight as we get older". At this point I couldn't decide whether to be more upset that I'm a 34 and change around the middle or the fact that I'm 23 and already "getting older".
The final shocker was this morning when I stepped on the scale to reveal the number 170. Yup I've gained 16 lbs this year which is more than double what Katie has gained her entire pregnancy. Of course I have been a little over dramatic about this all day, which amused Katie for about 10 minutes and then became annoying. I decided that my diet wasn't the problem. Fancy chocolates are few and far between, fast food is an occasional treat, and everything we eat at home is made from scratch (with no bacon grease contrary to Dad's beliefs). So maybe some exercise is in order.
Tomorrow morning I will start my new routine of jogging (working up to a run) for half an hour followed by some well intended, poorly executed sit ups and push ups. I'm sure this wont last long, and I'm speaking about the workout routine not the new waist size.

P.S. To my well read siblings. I realize my grammar, sentence/paragraph structure and use of passive voice is atrocious. However, I'm an engineering student and "frankly my dear I don't give a--" (Gone with the Wind, 1939, n.p.)

5 comments:

ClubbLife said...

Issac You crack me up, Hope you and the family are doing well. Take care Jenn :)

Whittier said...

Very amusing! Keep up the workout program though. It's amazing what exercise can do for you not only physically, but emotionally and mentally as well. I've found if I exercise 3-4 times (haven't found time for more than that) a week I feel incredible and those extra few pounds do disappear. Good luck!

Amber Hancock said...

I actually thought your post was very well written. And what's that n.p. at the end of Gone With the Wind? Good luck with the working out. Your not alone in the getting old and fat department. I'm 7 pounds heavier than I ever have been and quickly working my way through my mid twenties. Boo.

Adam said...

Your writing is just fine. I agree with Amber.

I wish I could gain weight. I haven't been able to get back to where I was before I gave up meat for the summer. That was a bad idea, methinks.

Janell H. said...

Don't worry about it. I only start getting concerned when I near 100x2. I know a bunch of great work outs that you don't need any equipment for and they will kick your butt. Let me know if you're interested.
This is Jeremy. Janell has never come close to approaching 200 lbs. Duh.