Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ticktock

Let me just start by saying that I have absolutely no free time on my hands anymore with school, work, and family. So in my free time, I've been constructing a grandfather clock out of K'nex (Dad's thrown in some good pointers too). So far I've got the escapement (the thing that actually makes the tick-tock noise) working almost perfectly. I've got it ticking at 559 ticks per 560 seconds, so it only loses a second every six minutes or 10 seconds an hour or 4 minutes a day and so on. It only runs for about15 minutes at this point but that should change once I get more parts. My weight right now is just a water bottle...can't find anything better.



That's about it really, once I get more gears I'll be able to make the weight drop slower and create a second hand, minute hand, and hour hand. I could still work on perfecting the timing of thependulum but I think I'll probably wait until the end of the semester. Oh, and my latest endeavor, at least that I've been thinking about, is making an escapement gear with more teeth since mine only has 8. The problem is knex are some what limiting when it comes to shapes, but I'm sure I'll figure out something. There ya' go; ain't I a nerd :).

3 comments:

Hotel Hancock Happenings said...

None of the design seen here were derived from any K'nex schematics or designs. Any likeness to other K'nex based grandfather clocks is purely coincidental. This "clock" not recommended for children under the age of 3. No animals were harmed in the making of this clock. Lastly, "I'M A NINJA" and yes "it's complicated."

Adam said...

I'll tell you what you are: a freaking genius! This is the most creative thing I've seen in years.

Beth Dunn said...

Amazing! xoxo

SC